To view our frequently asked questions, please click on a question below to view our reply.

How many possessions can you take with you into a home?

When a person has to leave their home, where they have lived for many years, they will inevitably have many personal possessions they wish to bring with them. All rooms in our care homes are already furnished but, whilst we cannot accommodate large pieces of furniture, we actively encourage people to bring mementoes that are important to them, such as personal treasures, photos and smaller furniture or ornaments. Each care home manager will be happy to discuss individual requirements before the moving date.

How do I raise a Safeguarding

Contacts and sources of assistance

Useful contacts

Action on Elder Abuse Helpline

Tel: 0808 808 8141


Police Community Safety Unit

Tel: 020 89345 4402 / 4373


Victim Support Enfield (part of the national charity giving free and confidential help to victims of crime)

Tel: 0845 450 4443

National helpline: 0845 30 30 900


Named GP for Safeguarding (Enfield Clinical Commissioning Group)

Dr Cristina Lopez c.lopez-peig@nhs.net

Tel: 07960 875 271

Safeguarding Adults Lead (Enfield Clinical Commissioning Group)

Carole Bruce-Gordon

Assistant Director of Safeguarding


Tel: 020 3688 2809


How freely can I visit someone in their residential or nursing home?

We have unrestricted visiting hours and welcome visitors who wish to see their friends and relatives. In some circumstances, such as at mealtimes, it may be advisable to check in advance. In many cases, visitors are invited to enjoy a meal with their relatives.

Do you cater for special dietary needs?

We cater for everyone and have a team of excellent chefs throughout our homes that provide a varied and healthy menu choice for our residents. We also have a number of dining rooms in our homes but residents are welcome to enjoy their meals in their own rooms, if they prefer. Our chefs receive training in nutritional risk assessment and understand about nutritional requirements.

Is my home counted as an asset?

Unfortunately, your home is included in your assets if you live alone or you and your spouse are both moving into a care home.

What funds will the NHS provide?

Even if you have to pay your own costs, the NHS should make a contribution to your nursing homes fees if they assess that you need care from a registered nurse. This contribution is called the Registered Nursing Care Contribution (RNCC) and is payable whether you are paying the full costs or the local authority are contributing towards the fees. The current weekly rate for eligible residents is £109.70.

What is a Care Adviser?

A Care Adviser is an understanding professional who will listen to your needs, assess your individual care requirements and give the best possible advice on suitable care options. It is important to speak to a care adviser who is truly independent and does not accept commissions from care providers. An Independent Care Adviser will provide unbiased information and advice according to individual needs. The Association of Independent Care Advisers (AICA, tel 01483 203 066) maintains a register of members, all of whom adhere to the AICA Code of Practice, and will advise you of your nearest Independent Care Adviser.

How much is care going to cost?

Costs will vary greatly according to the type and level of care required, and the geographical location. Fees in a care home with nursing, for example, can vary from £450 per week to over £1,000 per week. It is advisable to speak to an Independent Care Adviser to address your individual needs.

Where can I get financial advice?

A number of Independent Financial Advisers specialise in advising on long-term care. Before taking advice, it is recommended that you establish your IFA does have this specialist knowledge. The Association of Independent Care Advisers (AICA, tel 01483 203 066) maintains a register of specialist long-term care IFAs.

Is my relative entitled to financial assistance?

Depending on their circumstances, financial assistance is available to older people. For information on benefits, the Benefits Enquiry Line is a useful source of information – 0800 882200. For further advice, it is recommended that you contact an Independent Care Adviser.

What type of care will be appropriate on a long-term basis?

The answer to this question will depend on a number of factors according to individual requirements and circumstances. Options include care at home, a care home, sheltered accommodation or a care home with nursing. It is important to take independent advice before making any long-term decisions.

How do I know what to look for when choosing care?

Choosing care is a very personal decision and there will be issues specific to each individual situation when making decisions regarding care. It is important to make a short list of factors that are important to you or your relative. However, there are a number of issues that you should particularly take into consideration. For example:

  • Is the home/care agency registered to provide appropriate care?
  • Does the home/care agency have a good reputation locally?
  • Are the care provider’s terms and conditions clear?
  • Do you understand the fee structure?
  • Is there a clear complaints procedure?
  • Are copies of inspection reports available to you?
  • Are care plans in place and are these regularly reviewed?

Can the hospital discharge my relative before we've found care that the whole family is happy with?

Acute hospitals have an agreed policy to address this situation. If there is no clinical reason for your relative to remain in hospital and your chosen care home does not have any current vacancies, “transitional care” may be necessary. This is a temporary placement until a vacancy in your chosen home becomes available. The person and his or her family will be given notice of a hospital’s decision to consider this type of placement.

Can I insist my relative leave his or her own home and move into a care home?

People who may require care have the same rights as every other adult throughout the UK and, as long as they are mentally capable of making and communicating their own decisions, no-one can insist that they leave their own home. If you are concerned about an older relative’s (or friend’s) ability to care for themselves in their own home, you should discuss this with their GP.

Do I need a Solicitor to arrange an Enduring Power of Attorney?

No, but it is advisable to take legal advice. For further information about Enduring Power of Attorney contact the Public Guardianship office, your local Citizens Advice Bureau or a Solicitor.

Who do I turn to if I am not happy with care received?

Every care provider should have a clear complaints procedure and it is advisable to initially try to sort out any issues or concerns with the Manager. However, if you remain dissatisfied then depending on where you live, you could speak with:

The Care Quality Commission, telephone 03000 616161.